2018 marks 100 years since (some) women won the right to vote…the journey for equality, in all aspects, still continues…
10 THINGS WE NEED TO PASS TO EVERY YOUNG WOMAN
1. When one woman stands up for her own rights, she stands up for the rights of every woman. We are all in this together.
2. If you ever have to fight to be heard because of your gender, do it and do it with the passion of thousands of us standing behind you.
3. Your ancestors fought hard for your body to be your property and yours alone. The fight still continues, be a part of it and keep the progress going.
4. Those same women also fought like lions so your vote would be counted; always, always make it – come hell or high water.
5. Never let anyone tell you you should dress or appear a certain way to be taken seriously as a woman, if they cannot take you seriously as you are, they are the ones who need to change.
6. Equality can only really truly come when it is felt and honoured in every day life. If something feels wrong, point it out, don’t let it pass by unnoticed. It matters, every time.
7. If anyone ever accuses you of being ‘a feminist’ in a negative way…remind them that a feminist is not someone shouting from the rooftops, dressing like a man and fighting like an animal, as media would have us believe. A feminist is simply is a woman or a man who believes all humans deserve equality, we should all be one.
8. You may not be able to relate to the struggles of those women one hundred years ago, who were tortured, beaten and imprisoned just for believing their opinions mattered, but you can certainly imagine what that must have been like. Do just that. Things may seem backward to you sometimes, but they have come a long way and there is still some road left to travel.
9. Girls, it’s your turn now, to ensure the progress we have made, keeps on trucking. Don’t for a minute think the work has been done. Yes you have the world at your feet now but stories still need to be told and ceilings still need to be smashed. Go for it. You ahve us behind you, willing you on.
10. It’s a whole new world: use social media to discuss topics and issues too. Help steer the trend away from focusing solely on how women look and more on to who women are. ‘Don’t settle for pretty’ is the catchprase I keep hearing and I love it – aim for pretty clever, pretty strong, pretty creative and pretty damn smart too. Pretty much whatever you want.
Vanquish sexual discrimination in the workplace and the abuse of power and while you’re at it, knock trolls down and get rid of this need to body shame us all. We are all perfectly imperfect and that is our RIGHT.
Over to you…YOU GOT THIS.
Ladies, pass this on and share with the next generation