1. Don’t project too much into the future, or worry too much about things you can’t change from the past. Be here, whenever you can. Life is happening right here, right now, all around you.
2. Worry and fear are instincts we have developed to protect us, not stop us. Be aware which of your thoughts are genuinely worth your attention and which are holding you back.
3. It is very easy to focus on the negative things we hear or say about ourselves, instead of the many many positives. If you can stop that, your confidence will blossom.
4. For every mistake you make, there are a million things you do right, that others may not notice. Notice them and praise yourself for all that you do do every day. It is a lot.
5. Avoid taking on other people’s opinions by default. You have a voice and a mind of your own – don’t be afraid to let it be heard, even if it is against the grain.
6. Never believe that you deserve other people’s bad behaviour and always, always realise it is a reflection of themselves and not you.
7. Likewise, if you know deep down that you are the one behaving badly – own it. It’s better to nip it in the bud and fess up, than allow relationships to be damaged beyond repair.
8. Words hurt. Apologies can be made but things said in the heat of anger may never be forgotten…How do you avoid the above? Run your words through this filter before you speak: Is it kind? Is it true? Is it helpful?
9. You can’t please all of the people all of the time. You just can’t. Focus on your loved ones and yourself. If your heart is in the right place then the right people will see that.
10. It is okay, if not fundamental, that you crumble sometimes. Some may shout, some may cry, some may freeze and become numb. We are all human. Never feel you have to hide your emotions in this life, it is one thing we all have in common after all. It is absolutely okay to say ‘I can’t’ sometimes. If that upsets someone, then they do not have your best interests at heart.